Our Ongoing List of Ideas:
- Make intricately detailed bookmarks and leave them in library books for someone to find.
- Create a mysterious ad and distribute among ordinary listings. See who notices yours.
- Use a sharpie to draw a designs/write messages on a balloons. Bring them to a local hospital, nursing home, or other facility to be placed in patients’ rooms.
- Paint a rock and leave it anonymously in someone’s garden.
- Create a masterpiece with sidewalk chalk at a local park.
- Make a statue and put it somewhere unlikely and sacred, like in the middle of the woods.
- Write prompts/inspiration on post-it notes and leave them to be discovered by whoever.
- Draw designs on business card sized card stock and drop them in the collection bowls that local businesses put out, for example the “leave a card, win a lunch” type gimmicks.
- Fill a container/box with artwork, writings, photographs, lists, and anything else that inspires you; secure it tightly and bury it somewhere (but first make sure you aren’t trespassing or digging on private property). Draw a “treasure map” to where your box is buried and/or write clues, riddles, etc. Anonymously post an online ad or discreetly distribute the printed info/map around town for curious folks to discover. If you’d like to see who ends up finding your “treasure,” include your contact info inside the buried box and encourage the finder to let you know it has been found.
Ideas Submitted by Our Readers/Contributors:
Have another random act of art to add to the list? Comment and I’ll add it here.
“Put a drawing or a message in a bottle and launch it in the ocean or a river. It could end up anywhere at any time. Seal the lid with wax so that it does not leak. These have been known to travel for hundreds of kilometres.” – Submitted by Kat