46 minute Drawing Session Speed 8x
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Streamed with Open Broadcaster on https://Twitch.tv/SoulHealingLoveMagic
on December 30, 2016 by Shelby Quino
as part of #KillYourEraser
Automatic Drawing Tips:
- Make a conscious decision not to control the drawing.
- Allow your hand to move freely until you feel a sense of completion.
- It can take several automatic drawings in a row in order to become relaxed enough to truly allow the chaotic and messy improvisation to occur.
- Just let go and jump in.
- There is a lot to be said for “scribbling.”
- Let your hand and pen do what they will without fear of mistake.
- Remember, you’re not drawing with an intention or idea in mind.
- We aren’t expecting to draw anything in particular. We’re just drawing freely.
- Mistakes do not exist here.
- The process is the purpose. Don’t concern yourself with the end result.
- Allow yourself to give into the trance. Automatic drawing is meant to be meditative.
This is a quick demonstration of “automatic drawing/painting” as part of December/January’s “Kill Your Eraser!” theme.
“Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.” – John W. Gardner
“Look. Art knows no prejudice, art knows no boundaries, art doesn’t really have judgement in it’s purest form. So just go, just go.” – K.D. Lang
“If you’re not trying to be real, you don’t have to get it right. That’s art.” – Andy Warhol
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” – Claude Debuss
7.9.16 Live Two Heads Stream <–There is the link in case you missed it. It’s strange for me, especially as a multimedia artist, to always use technology in what I do creatively (but also knowing how that technology can aid in collaborative process, except I was streaming without a collaborator. What I teach people how to do is to flow.
This was my first official stream and it was difficult to speak as much as I would have liked to because the mic kept picking up on my kids. I hope…plan to write more in this blog. Whenever I write, it always begins in my journal on REAL paper (imagine that!) and most of the time I forget to even type it out later. Earlier today I found a brief time to write in my journal, so here it is:
Day of 1st live SHLM ‘artcast.’ Not sure how fluid it will be yet, or exactly what I’ll talk about. Right now its all just a craze of ‘airy derring-do’ I know that this will work in a constant motion, always re-inventing itself. Whatever form the project takes, I know it will be a powerful actuation for everyone involved. Maybe I’m a bit outlandish, but this sort of improvised chaos will be the stuff that this magical landscape is made of.